In 1905 the city board of education allocated money for the creation of a high school to serve the black community of Henderson. The new high school began on the top floor of the Alves St. School just as Henderson High School had begun at Center St. School. The school consisted of only the ninth grade and grew by a grade a year until the first class graduated in 1909.
In 1923 the people of the black community raised funds to purchase the Kennedy building at the corner of Dixon and Alvasia. This building served as the high school until a brand new Douglass High School was built at the corner of Clay and Alvasia in 1932.
Douglass High School closed its doors in 1965 as the students and faculty became a part of Henderson City High.